Navigation & Recreation
The Navigation & Recreation Committee has the mission to promote safe recreational activities on Keuka Lake and in the Keuka Lake Watershed.
Safe navigation and recreation is addressed in the following areas:
1. Increase awareness of NYS navigation laws.
a. Post speed limits at lake access points.
b. Distribute summaries of navigation laws to the KLA newsletter & web site, local vacation guides, rental agencies, town clerks, marinas, etc.
c. Reports to the membership.
2. Assist Yates and Steuben County Sheriff's Marine Patrol with enforcement of NYS navigation laws and the DEC Enviromental Conservation Officers with communication of fishing and wildlife regulations.
a. Publicize issues of mutual interest.
b. Resolution of areas of concern from the KLA membership.
c. Assistance with equipment acquisition.
d. Distribution of dock plates and other methods of site identification.
3. Publicize recreational opportunities on Keuka Lake.
a. Publish and distribute fishing regulation summaries.
b. Identify & publicize special events.
c. Highlight swimming and other water recreation safety.
d. Submit Newsletter articles on things to do in the watershed.
4. When needed, seek modification to NYS Navigation Laws.
a. Communicate concerns to appropriate agencies.
b. Research experiences in other locations.
c. Monitor pending legislation.
d. Report issues to the membership.
5. Identify research, coordinate, publicize, and help resolve member concerns on issues of navigation, recreation, and safety.
a. Scuba diver identification and treatment.
b. Fishing tournament identification, publicity, and impacts.
c. Water fowl feeding, hunting, and pollution.
d. Water ski slalom courses and jump ramps.